Tuesday, October 29, 2013

{Organize It!} Storage Solution for Measuring Cups and Spoons

Are you constantly losing your measuring cups and spoons like me?  For some reason, I can't seem to keep them on that little ring they come on because sometimes I just need one and then the whole bunch end up in the sink and I hate washing things that aren't dirty.  Well, I have come up with a solution that I think will save some of the chaos of lost measuring cups and spoons.  Introducing Command Hooks by 3M!  While I am sure you all have heard of them before and may have even used them for one thing or the other.  I have to tell you, I am a lover of all things Command!  They are easy to use and easy to take down.  Therefore, whether you rent or own a home and just want something temporary, you can use them too!  I have never had a damaged wall or anything from a Command product.  And NO, they did not pay me to write this post.  I truly just love them!

Ok, now on with the fun part: ORGANIZING!  The first thing I did was round up my measuring cups and spoons to figure out how many hooks I would need to complete this project.  After attempting to find them all, I was disappointed.  Not only were some missing (did the dishwasher eat them?), but some of mine were just plain dingy and even missing their measurements.  After that discovery, I decided, heck, I will just pick up some new ones on the cheap.  I ended up at my local Walmart, where I knew I could get my Command Hooks as well.  I found some nice, yet inexpensive measuring cups and spoons (around $4 for both) and decided I would need at least 10 hooks.  I picked up a pack of 14 small "utensil" hooks, as they are called for around $9.  And then I went on my merry way back home to organize!


 When I got home, I picked out a cabinet door that I thought would be the most convenient for grabbing my measuring supplies when I was cooking or baking.  I picked a cabinet next to my stove and above what I usually use for a prep area.  I decided to put my measuring cups at the top and my measuring spoons at the bottom.  I simply read the directions with my Command Hooks and got to work hanging my hooks. 



After I had hung the first row, I stood back and saw that they were crooked.  So much for my trusty eye for leveling things.  For the bottom row, I decided to use a piece of tape to keep things a little bit more even for my OCD. :)



I then hung up the bottom row of hooks, using the tape as my guide of where to hang each hook.  The annoying part about hanging ten hooks is that you have to hold each one for 30 seconds to get a good stick.  That can be tiresome on your arms if you have wimpy arms like me!  After I hung the bottom row, I thought it worked out well with the tape so I moved the tape to the top row to fix the not-so-straight row.  (If you are OCD like me, you can always measure where to put your hooks, but I was just doing this quick.  Also, this little area is not going to show when the cabinet door is closed so it didn't matter THAT much to me!)  The hooks came off easily and they give you extra sticky pieces, so I just rehung them using my tape as a guide this time.




After the top row was fixed, I stood back and admired my work.  I think that this small organizational project will help ease my sanity when I am cooking or baking and looking for measuring cups and spoons.



I swear there must be some kind of deception going on in the picture above because when I look at them, they really do look straight!  Must be an optical illusion or something!  Anyway, that is my {Organize It!} project for today!  I hope you enjoyed reading and I will be back on most Tuesdays with an organizational tip or project for your reading pleasure.  Has anybody else organized their measuring cups or spoons?  How about different uses for those Command Hooks?  (I bought another oil-rubbed bronze big one for my front door to hang my wreaths and things on, instead of a wreath hook and it works like a charm!)

1 comment:

  1. Great tip!! I use the Command picture hanging strips for my wall collages. No holes and easy repositioning.

    ReplyDelete